The architecture breathed craftsmanship. The gelato cones dripped generously. And each street seemed to hold its own impeccable charm. The Roman people were straightforward but pleasant. Their food simple in appearance but exquisite in taste. And the art - oh the art - was plentiful and awe-inspiring. Rome was, in a word, magical, and surpassed any expectations of what my undergraduate art history courses could afford.
Oh, you know. Just the afternoon stroll...
The Pantheon
Tossing my luck in Trevi Fountain
Good old Jules...
...oh, and these guys too
Vatican City
I would be a Swiss guard, just for the outfit
St Peter's Basilica
And of course, no trip to Rome would be complete without Giolitti
Ok, so perhaps this comment is a little predictable, but I counted this as my own Roman Holiday. Seeing as how I wasn't going back to the US for Thanksgiving anyway, I decided what better way to express my gratitude to my pilgrim forefathers than to go and see more of the Europe they left behind. So thank you, SS Mayflower-ers. I think I'll pass on the pumpkin pie this year and take another helping of gnocchi. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment