Monday, May 6, 2013

Graduation

Tossing my cap!

I should have known that Brady would be right. That donning the customary cap and gown, striding across the stage in barely broken-in heels, and squirming about - all too anxious to share my BYU blue diploma cover with the family - in my collapsable chair in the Marriott Center would all be worth the Expedia reservation. As Department Head George Handley took my hand, smiling, welcoming me onto the stage, I no longer felt like a liminal figure, a member of academic purgatory, if you will, simply awaiting the good natures of administration and advisement to approve my application to graduate. No, Dr. Handley - along with the other thirty or so decorated faculty members seated on stage - welcomed me into scholastic accomplishment. I was no longer a stranger or foreigner, but fellowcitizen with the lovers of wisdom, and of the household of knowledge.

Heading to the join the processional

Ringing the Y Bell


Enjoying the moment

Following Elder L. Tom Perry's terrific commencement address, Brady and I - along with his mother and grandmother, and my brother - headed over to the Hinckley Center for the alumni dinner and dance. Brady and I weren't really planning on taking center stage, but then the DJ turned on "A Thousand Years" - yes, the Breaking Dawn track, don't judge us - and I couldn't resist accepting his offer to be wrapped in his arms for a few moments.
At the end of the song, Gangham Style exploded onto the dance floor. And, shamelessly, so did we :) 

We passed on the layer cake to dance, but felt it would be inconceivable to end the evening without dessert. Some moments are so special they don't need ice cream. Other times, you realize you are a three-minute drive from the BYU Creamery.

  

The following day was convocation, where I had the opportunity to receive my diploma!

President's reception (Left to right: Sarah (Nick's girlfriend), Nick, Sister Samuelson, President Samuelson, Me, Brady, Lori, Kay)

Celebratory lunch at Kneaders!

Outside the MOA


Salt Lake City Temple

And...so I might be an entire foot shy of the Duchess of Cambridge (besides just lacking her elegance and poise) but I can't help but adore her sense of style. And while Whistles and Alexander McQueen just aren't going to make the budget this month - or this life - I still tried to take a little royal inspiration for commencement and convocation:


I think that she stands with her shoulders more upright, less hunched. Sigh. I need some princess posture practice :)

1 comment:

  1. Nah... I think you're lovely the way you are :). And what a wonderful accomplishment! You and Brady take the most darling pictures together. It is just too cute. Continuing to be sooo happy for you :).

    ReplyDelete